The goals of our committee:
(1) Provide members of the teacher education community up-to-date information
about school library media services.
(2) Encourages local teacher education colleges to include this information
in their curriculum.
(3) Makes school administrators aware of the potential of school library media
Heres what has been done in
(1) a contact list of SCASL representatives and teacher education representatives
was developed in 1996-97
(2) a brochure about school library media centers was designed in 1998-99
(3) a PowerPoint presentation about school library media centers was created
(4) a poster session was conducted at the 2001 SCASL Convention about Pre-service
(5) Teamed up with the Palmetto State Teacher Association to visit teacher
education programs. Visited Columbia College and Presbyterian College. Shared
a Hats Off to Teachers presentation and information about the School
Library Media Profession.
(6) Delivered brochures and Sweet Start candies/contact cards through
the PSTA visits to student teacher
(7) Secured a list of teacher education contacts and student teacher supervisor
(8) Post information about the Pre-service committee on the SCASL web site.
Show (714 KB)
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.
Plans for the future:
In the future, the pre-service committee intends to continue with going out
to different college campuses across the state to discuss what media specialists
do and what a Master's degree in Library and Information Science can do for
Our committee is an exciting opportunity
to share what we do each day with others. Please
Chair: Kristen Nebesky Lawson, Library Media Specialist
Chapin Elementary School