Book Award Banners
|South Carolina Book Award Banners|
Participation in the Banners program of the South Carolina Book Awards is so much fun!! Just have students follow the directions below.
1. The banner must represent a Book Award Nominee for the current year.
2. It must measure 2’6” X 6’2″, to be hung vertically.
3. It must be made from cloth and have a 2” pocket on the top for the insertion of a dowel rod plus three button holes through this pocket for alternative hanging methods.
4. The book title and author’s name must be on the front of the banner.
5. In order to identify the banner and assist the judges, place a 3” X 5” card in each of the lower back corners of the banner. The following information should be included on each card:
School – name and mailing address
Name(s) of the designer (individual or group)
Category (Picture, Children’s, Junior, Young Adult)
School Media Specialist name and e-mail address
Note: You will want to go ahead and fold over the extra 2 inches and secure/fasten the buttons BEFORE you begin decorating your banners. Judges have noted that banners are “too short” and/or you can tell decorations have had to be removed/moved because folks forgot about the dowel rod slot! This could effect your chances of winning!
Judging of banners
Please review the Book Award Banner Judging Rubric for specific details judges will be looking for when reviewing the banners. Each banner will be judged on the authenticity of the art as it relates to the book as well as on the artistic quality of the banner. All artwork must be the original work of the child(ren) involved. The banner must be a student project. Adult input should be advisory in nature and kept to the minimum required by the age group participating.
Certificates of participation will be available on-line to each participating school at www.scasl.net. In addition, a ribbon for first, second and third place in each category will be awarded at conference and a prize of $100.00 will be awarded to the first place winner in each category; $75.00 will be awarded to the second place winner in each category; and $50.00 will be awared to the third place winner in each category. The award checks will be sent to the school media specialist unless otherwise requested.
A school may win only one first place award but may receive other award levels. Schools may only submit one banner per judging category to the banner competition. Schools may only submit banners in categories in which they are qualified to vote (i.e. a k4 – 5 grade school may be participating in PBA and CBA, and therefore may have two banners in the competition, one at each category level).
Updated: 26 March 2012
SCASL Member Login
Book Award Materials Order Form
SCASL Flickr Photos
- AASL Essential Links
- AASL Lesson Plan Database
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Library Association
- eMedia (formerly ITV)
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- Request SCASL Membership Roster
- SCASL 23Things
- SCASL BLOG
- SCASL Bylaws
- SCASL Facebook
- SCASL Flickr
- SCASL Listserv
- SCASL Twitter
- SCASL Wiki
- South Carolina Department of Education
- USC School of Lib & Info Science
- Yahoo Groups Librarymedia National Boards Group